It’s never ending. It lurks in corners and mocks you. It multiplies overnight and haunts your dreams. It’s the dreaded “L word”: LAUNDRY!! Though some of you may bask in the scent of freshly laundered sheets and take pleasure in neatly pressed shirts, I would venture to say the majority of us would rather spend our afternoon baby sitting howler monkeys than devote another minute to washing and folding. What to do? Well, since the task is pretty much unavoidable, let’s look at some ways to make it a bit more bearable and beautiful.
For starters, let’s examine the laundry room itself. Is your space dull, dingy, and completely utilitarian? Research shows that whether it’s employees, students, children, or animals, they thrive in stimulating and creative environments. Cue the laundry room makeover! Here are seven steps for revamping your laundry room.
1. Paint it. Start with a fresh coat of paint, or even a fun wallpaper! Choose something bright and cheery that really appeals to your sense of style. You spend a lot of time here. Might as well make it your own!
2. Floor it. Here’s another chance to get stylish! Go with a bold, decorative tile or vinyl, or even a wood or brick look. Flooring should be both beautiful and functional. Make sure it’s waterproof and easy to clean. Adding a cute rug adds a touch of flare!
3. Store it. Storage, storage storage! Don’t let those mounds of clothes overtake you anymore. Invest in or DIY a laundry basket storage area to keep both clean and dirty clothes separated and ready to wash and fold. Also consider cabinets, shelves, and baskets to house all your detergents, softeners, and stain removers.
4. Hang it. A drying rack and hooks are essential to any laundry room for hanging your line-dry items as well as storing hangers. There’s nothing worse than trying to untangle hangers carelessly tossed into a laundry basket! Take a look at these!
5. Press it. So, if you haven’t caught on to wrinkle-free fabric, or if you’re just a bit OCD, you’ll need an ironing board. Carve out a niche near an outlet to store your ironing board so it’s handy and ready to go. No more lugging it into your bedroom or kitchen.
6. Fold it. If you have space, a countertop or table is a wonderful addition for folding laundry and keeping it off the couch. It you have front-loading units, a countertop installed across the top is super convenient. If you have a free-standing sink, consider incorporating a vanity/extended countertop not just for folding but for help with scrubbing those extra-tough jobs.
7. Tile it. Last but not least, if you have the space, install a tile backsplash or even tile a whole wall or two! It really finishes off the look.
For more ideas, examples, and DIY projects for improving your laundry room, visit our Pinterest Board!