It’s never ending. It lurks in corners and mocks you. It multiplies overnight and haunts your dreams. It’s the dreaded “L word”: LAUNDRY!! Though some of you may bask in the scent of freshly laundered sheets and take pleasure in neatly pressed shirts, I would venture to say the majority of us would rather spend our afternoon baby sitting howler monkeys than devote another minute to washing and folding. What to do? Well, since the task is pretty much unavoidable, let’s look at some ways to make it a bit more bearable and beautiful.
For starters, let’s examine the laundry room itself. Is your space dull, dingy, and completely utilitarian? Research shows that whether it’s employees, students, children, or animals, they thrive in stimulating and creative environments. Cue the laundry room makeover! Here are seven steps for revamping your laundry room.
1. Paint it. Start with a fresh coat of paint, or even a fun wallpaper! Choose something bright and cheery that really appeals to your sense of style. You spend a lot of time here. Might as well make it your own!
2. Floor it. Here’s another chance to get stylish! Go with a bold, decorative tile or vinyl, or even a wood or brick look. Flooring should be both beautiful and functional. Make sure it’s waterproof and easy to clean. Adding a cute rug adds a touch of flare!
3. Store it. Storage, storage storage! Don’t let those mounds of clothes overtake you anymore. Invest in or DIY a laundry basket storage area to keep both clean and dirty clothes separated and ready to wash and fold. Also consider cabinets, shelves, and baskets to house all your detergents, softeners, and stain removers.
4. Hang it. A drying rack and hooks are essential to any laundry room for hanging your line-dry items as well as storing hangers. There’s nothing worse than trying to untangle hangers carelessly tossed into a laundry basket! Take a look at these!
5. Press it. So, if you haven’t caught on to wrinkle-free fabric, or if you’re just a bit OCD, you’ll need an ironing board. Carve out a niche near an outlet to store your ironing board so it’s handy and ready to go. No more lugging it into your bedroom or kitchen.
6. Fold it. If you have space, a countertop or table is a wonderful addition for folding laundry and keeping it off the couch. It you have front-loading units, a countertop installed across the top is super convenient. If you have a free-standing sink, consider incorporating a vanity/extended countertop not just for folding but for help with scrubbing those extra-tough jobs.
7. Tile it. Last but not least, if you have the space, install a tile backsplash or even tile a whole wall or two! It really finishes off the look.
For more ideas, examples, and DIY projects for improving your laundry room, visit our Pinterest Board!
Are you ready to make a bold statement in your home? There's no better place to add some spice to your life than in the kitchen! If you're tired of traditional, bored with basic, or wiped out with white, we've got your back. Browse through the photos below and learn how to add a little kick to your kitchen. (Several photos are linked to their original sources for more fun info!).
Cabinets, counter tops, light fixtures etc. When you’re renovating your kitchen, there are many features to choose to update. One relatively small area in the kitchen is the backsplash. Even though the backsplash is often just a small part of the kitchen, it can add eye- catching appeal and make a statement that ties your whole look together.
There are so many options in tile. How can you decide what tile combinations to use? For starters, get inspired. Look for pictures and others forms of inspiration to help you get an idea of what you like. Keep in mind your color scheme and the style you’re trying to achieve. Do you like bright colors or neutrals? Glass or stone? Metallics or mattes? Are you traditional or trendy? There’s a tile for all of these! Today we’re going to look at three different backsplash options including classic, modern, and vintages styles.
A classic style encompasses neutral colors along with fewer patterns. Textures also often play a part in the depth of the classic look. Below is a combination of Tesoro Glass Lux and Crema tile that offer a stone look in a neutral color.
On the other side of the spectrum we have the modern style that consists of solid colors, metallic looks, and streamlined design. Below we put together Lungarno’s Urban Textures Glass Mosaics Loft tile and Tesoro’s Metallica tile which combines glass and metals.
Last but not least is a vintage style. Vintage mimics the styles of previous eras with a unique worn look that encompasses a wide variety of colors. This brick tile even employs vintage graphics for a truly unique design with character.
The kitchen is one of the most-used areas of the home. You can make this “heart of the home” a welcoming space that reflects your personal style by installing a beautiful backsplash. Are you vintage or modern? Classic or trendy? Whatever theme you choose, there’s a tile for that.
Buying a home is one of the biggest investments you will make in your life, so making sure you've found the right home for you is important. Many people buy homes that need either a lot or a least a little renovating. Often the main areas that need improvement and that can increase your investment value are flooring, kitchens, and bathrooms.
Good floors and subfloors provide safety, style, and durability to a home. Some homes may have outdated or worn flooring that is no longer functional or appealing to the eye. In kitchens and bathrooms, it’s important to check for water damage and make any repairs or renovations promptly. The same goes for the rest of the house. Make sure you have solid subfloors as the foundation for your renovation projects. Consider whether carpet needs to be replaced or cleaned. Also inspect your hard surfaces for any repairs if you’re keeping them or evaluate what will go into replacing them. (Don’t forget we offer free estimates!)
Kitchens and bathrooms are also big selling points for homes. Maybe you found a home that’s move-in ready, but a lot of us look for that diamond in the rough that we can make our own. Updating tile, redesigning a kitchen or bathroom, adding granite countertops and blacksplashes; these are all custom touches that make your home reflect your style and increase its value.
Remember that flooring provides the foundation not just for the style of your home but for the memories you and your family will make there. They say the kitchen is the “heart of the home,” so make it a fun and functional space the whole family can enjoy. After a long day, you deserve a bathroom that gives your family a place not just to get clean, but to unwind. By putting your personal touches on your new home, it will soon become your dream home.